Teenage / Adolescence
The Scientific name of Teenage is Adolescence. It comes from a Latin word adolescere meaning “to grow” or “to grow to maturity”.
Psychologically, adolescence is the age when the individual becomes integrated into the society of adults, the age when the child no longer feels that he is below the level of his elders but equal, at least in rights. This integration into adult society has many affective aspects, more or less linked with puberty.
Change also includes very profound intellectual changes. These intellectual transformations typical of the teenager’s thinking enable him not only to achieve his integration into the social relationships of adults, which is, in fact, the most general characteristic of this period of development.
Teenage is beginning when children become sexually mature and ending when they reach the age of legal maturity.
Teenage is a very important period because of its long term effect on attitudes and behavior. Teenage is a period where immediate effects and long term effects are important. Teenage is important for both physical and psychological effects.
Teenage is a transition period. Teenagers “put away the childish things”. They learn new patterns of behavior and attitudes.
The rate of change in attitudes and behavior during teenage is at parallel rate of physical changes.
There are 5 major universal aspects of change that occur during teenage
- First, Heightened Emotionality – Intensity of this will depend upon the rate at which physical and psychological changes are taking place.
- Second, Sexual Maturing – The rapid changes that accompany sexual maturing makes young teenager unsure about their capabilities and interests. They get strong feeling of instability which often intensifies depending upon the treatment received from parents and teachers.
- Third, Physical changes in their body, interest and their role in the social group creates room for new problems. Until they have solved their problems to their satisfaction level, they will be preoccupied with them.
- Fourth, Interest and behavior pattern changes and so do values. Things important to them in childhood now seem less important. Like most teenagers no longer think that a large number of friends are more important than friends that are more admired and respected by peers. Quality becomes more important to them.
- Fifth, Teenagers are ambivalent about changes. They want and demand independence, but often dread the responsibilities that go along independence. They do question their ability to cope with these responsibilities.
Teenage is a problem age, while every age has its problems; teenage is often difficult age for boys and girls to cope with. There 2 reasons. First, throughout childhood their problems were met and solved by parents and teachers. This results in inexperience to coping problems alone. Second, because teenagers want to feel independent, they demand the right to cope with their own problems, rebuffing attempts on the part of parents and teachers to help them.
Teenage is a time of Searching ones IDENTITY. Since late childhood emphasise was to match criterias like dress, speech, behavior etc with the friends in group. Now with onset of Teenage they begin to crave identity and are no longer satisfied to be like their peers in every respect, as they were earlier.
Teenage is a time of Unrealism. Teenagers have a tendency to look at life through rose tinted glasses. They see themselves and others as they would like to be rather than as they are. These unrealistic aspirations not only for themselves but also for their families and friends, are responsible for the heightened emotionality, the characteristic of teenage.
Teenage is a threshold of Adulthood. As teenagers approach legal maturity, now they are eager to portray themselves as a near –adults. They start dressing and acting like adults. They begin to concentrate on behavior that is associated with the adult status – smoking, drinking, using drugs and engaging in sex, for example. They believe that this behavior will create the image they desire.
Teenage is a critical age to balance the star of your eyes into this world.
Take a close look at various aspects related to parenting a Teenager with theparenteens.com.
Engage into your teenager’s development using various scientific methods based on child Psychology. Register and keep yourself with the latest and also whole heartedly participate with your guidance to the future of our country.